Your Ally After A DWI/DUI Charge

DWI/DUI offenses are taken seriously by the Minnesota courts. This is why it is important to not face the charge on your own. Regardless of the circumstances that led to the charge, it is still possible for the charges to be reduced or dismissed. With Jennifer Speas, a results-driven Minneapolis DWI attorney, fighting for you, you can trust that you have a competent and knowledgeable advocate in your corner.

Experienced In All Types Of DWI Cases

In addition to motorist DWI offenses, there are other types of DWI cases that include:

Each of these come with their own set of penalties. For example, a commercial DWI involves a person driving a commercial vehicle. They are held to a different standard than a motorist, as a commercial driver can’t have a blood alcohol concentration over .04. This is half of the .08 standard that motorists are held to. Underage drivers that have been drinking face automatic license suspension and have to go through certain steps that differ from the steps taken by drivers over the age of 21. If anyone refuses alcohol testing when they are suspected of driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, then they are in violation of implied consent laws and forfeit their driver’s license as a result.

Navigating Minnesota’s Complex DWI Laws

Depending on how many previous DWI offenses you have had, if any, and if any other aggravating factors are present, you could be charged with a misdemeanor, gross misdemeanor, or felony.

There are criminal and civil consequences. The criminal consequences include jail, probation, chemical treatment, chemical dependency evaluations, community service, home monitoring, sentence to service, and DUI education classes. You could also face:

You could also deal with license plate impoundment. The good news is that the charge is one that you can fight so you can pay as few consequences as possible. You can challenge everything from the charge itself to vehicle forfeiture. For instance, you need your vehicle to go back and forth to work. Your Minneapolis DWI attorney can get your vehicle back if it was forfeited outside of reason.

To fight the civil consequences, you only have 30 days to do so. Jennifer Speas will work quickly for you so that you can effectively fight the civil elements of the case, minimizing the damage that is done to you and your well-being.

Contact A Minneapolis DWI Attorney

DWI can change your life forever, which is why you should exercise your right to fight the charges against you. Even if you did commit an offense, that doesn’t mean you have to pay the maximum penalty. To learn more about how Jennifer Speas can help you in your DWI or DUI case, call today at 612-284-1463 to request an initial consultation.

Frequently Asked DWI/DUI Defense Questions

  • When do I get my DL back?

You may be required to install an ignition interlock system on your vehicle in order to resume your driving rights. This is a requirement for a BAC of .15 or more. There are 30-day, 90-day, 180-day and longer possible revocation periods. The individual person’s driving record will affect the length of revocation.

It is best to call the Department of Public Safety at 651-296-2025 to ask when you are eligible to get the most accurate information for your circumstance.

  • They took my license plates. How do I get them back?

Generally, you will be required to have “W” or “whiskey” plates for one year.

  • I was driving my friend’s car and they took his/her plates. How do they get them back?

Usually bringing the police report into the DMV to show that the owner of the vehicle was NOT the one driving will allow the DMV to return the normal plates back to the owner. This will only work if the owner does not live at the same address as the driver.

  • I got arrested for a DWI but the citation lists 3 or 4 different charges. What does this mean?

You are most likely charged with DWI (driving with blood alcohol over .08) and DUI (driving while under the influence) and a traffic offense.

  • I got my Notice of Revocation in the mail and it says something about 30 days to contest. What does this mean?

You, or your attorney, must file a Petition for Judicial Review within 30 days of this Notice or you lose the right to challenge your license revocation.

  • I didn’t take the breathalyzer but agreed to a blood/urine test. When will they charge me and is my license revoked?

Once the test results are returned to the police department they will send the report to the city or county attorney and you will be officially charged. You should receive a Summons & Complaint in the mail with a court date at that time.

You will also receive a notice from the Department of Public Safety indicating when your license will be revoked after the official results are forwarded to them. It is a good idea to check the Department of Public Safety often to make sure when your license is revoked. You can check this online at

  • Will I go to jail when I appear in court?

No. A DWI does carry jail time and one of the consequences; however, sentences are negotiated with the prosecutors and decided by the judge.

  • I have an out-of-state driver’s license. Will I be revoked in that state and how do I get my DL back?

Minnesota only has the authority to revoke your privileges to drive in Minnesota. You will need to complete all of the necessary requirements in order to drive again in Minnesota. Whether the state in which you have your driver’s license will revoke you based on this offense will be up to that state. It is possible, and likely, that you will need to complete that state’s requirements in addition to Minnesota’s.

  • My car is at the impound lot. How do I get it back?

If it wasn’t forfeited, but only towed because there was no one to drive it, you can go get it at any time while your license is still valid and if you have proof of insurance.

  • My car was forfeited OR the car was forfeited but it wasn’t my car. What do I do now?

You, or the vehicle owner, must contest the forfeiture. You have 30 days from the date of forfeiture to request judicial determination, otherwise, your car is gone forever.